The Green Room Hooley
Bantry, County Cork, Ireland.
June 17-21, 2019
"Join us as we travel through the places of your Irish Ancestors in the 1800s and early 1900s - and then celebrate a 'Journey Home' together"
- Meet and travel with Mike and Carina - and 36 other Green Room members and friends.
- Together, we travel around some very special places over three full days - each associated with the Ireland that would have been familiar to your Irish Ancestors.
- We arrange all the local transport and events - you arrange your own travel and accommodation (see below).
- PLUS.... We have lots of special guests, extras and added bonuses that we will announce over the coming months
The following short video will give you a nice visual overview of the town of Bantry and just some of the surrounding areas that we will visit together. So, sit back with a cup of tea or coffee, and enjoy this beautiful part of Ireland:
Here is what you can expect at the Hooley....
Put simply, we want to make sure that you have experiences and memories that will last a lifetime. Over the course of three full days, you will visit some very special places around Bantry - many of which would not have changed since the time of your ancestors. We have chosen Bantry and it's hinterland as it represents a typical Irish market town in rural Ireland - a place where the people, accents and welcome has not changed much over hundreds of years. We do hope that you will join us to share in this unique journey.
Itinerary for the Green Room Hooley
(Have a question about the itinerary? Click here to go to the Green Room Hooley section in the forum.)
Please note that the agenda shown below is subject to change to accommodate things like new opportunities or a something known as "the Irish weather".
Monday June 17, 2019.
- 4.30PM - Registration at The Maritime Hotel in Bantry at our "Hooley HQ".
- Some attendees will be in the area for a while already, but this is the time when we will carry out official registration. It's going to be wonderful for us all to meet up in person!
- 5.30PM - Opening Ceremony and meet the other Green Room members.
- This will be in the Maritime Hotel - a great chance to hear what's ahead for the week and for an informal chat.
- 9.00PM - A Night of Craic, Conversation and music at Ma Murphys - our Public Bar HQ for the Hooley - just a stroll from the Maritime Hotel.
Tuesday June 18, 2019.
10.30AM - Tralibane, the homeplace of Chief Francis O'Neill.
We head off into the countryside outside Bantry to the spot where Chief Francis O'Neill of the Chicago Police Department was born. He was also a musician and collector (and saviour) of many pieces of Irish music going back to the 1600s. We will be joined by local musicians for a bit of music and dancing at the crossroads - just like our ancestors enjoyed.
We will return to Bantry by 12.45PM
2.30PM - We meet at the Maritime Hotel in Bantry and head off on our Coach for a unique trip around some very special places and events across Counties Cork and Kerry. Here's what we have planned:
We go over the hills into County Kerry to the lovely town of Killarney. There, we will have a guided tour on the Muckross Folk farm. A number of farm buildings have been recreated here - and each demonstrates some aspect of Irish craft and homesteading during the 1800s and early 1900s.
Finally, we have a night at the Killarney Brewing Company. This is a local brewery with a strong set of Irish myths and emigrant themes at the heart of it's story and beers. It'll be a great chance to chat, remember the best parts of the day, have a drink or two and let our hair down.
9.30PM - Depart Killarney for Bantry - back in Bantry about 11.00pm.
Wednesday, June 19, 2019.
10.30AM - Leave on Coach outside the Maritime Hotel in Bantry.
Today, we will go on a circuit of the magical Beara Peninsula - taking in the scenery, history, monuments and people as we travel through the heart of this beautiful part of the world. It is a place that has changed little since the time our ancestors lived there. Over the course of the day we will cover the following:
A stop at MacCarthy's Bar in Castletownbere for some light refreshments. This pub was made famous by the late Pete MacCarthy in this book "MacCarthy's Bar. It also has some amazing stories that we will hear more about from the owners.
The mining town of Allihies at the end of the penninsula. This really feels like the end of the world (a very nice end!) and was a town built from the copper mining industry that took place here in the 1800s. We will have lunch and a guided tour at the Allihies Museum.
We have a number of other stops planned around the peninsula - taking in prehistoric monuments, beautiful vistas, a bit of story-telling and some of the most colourful villages in the world. A day to remember!
6.00PM - Arrive back at Bantry.
9.00PM - Night of Craic, Conversation at Ma McCarthy's Bar.
Thursday, June 20, 2019.
- The morning is your free time to wander around Bantry Town and enjoy the shops, sights and maybe even a cup of Barry's tea!
- 12.00 Noon - We meet at the Maritime Hotel. This time our coach trip will take us on a trip to the sea and the mountains - as well as a night to remember! We take in the following on this trip:
- A short stop-off at Mannings emporium in Ballylickey for a lovely plate of Irish cheeses and meats.
- Garnish Island - garden. This island is just a 4 minute ferry ride across calm inner bay waters. The surrounding is pure magic and I think we'll arrange a poet and a musician to join us on the day. It's that sort of place!
- Celtic Ceremony at Bonane Heritage Park. We will be joined by a local poet and Druidic couple in the pre-historic setting of Bonane Heritage park - as we remember our Irish ancestors who left these islands down through the centuries.
- We then finish up in an Irish cottage in the Kerry mountains for a "Homecoming" celebration. It will be a night of Irish food, storytelling, music and much more - the sort of event our ancestors would have looked forward to - and spoke about for many weeks afterwards!
- 10.30PM - The coach will leave to take us back to Bantry. Expect to arrive in Bantry about 11.30PM.
- My guess is that a few hardy souls may even head over to Ma Murphys when we get back for a "Parting Glass".
Friday, June 21, 2019.
- We all go our separate ways - how sad! But with so many memories to have for a lifetime and so many new friends to enjoy.
The Green Room Hooley, 2019
What to Do Next:
As I mentioned above, we are limiting the Hooley events to 38 persons - so we think it is fair to offer a maximum of three tickets to each Green Room member. If you are interested, here is what you need to do next:
- Doublecheck the timing and itinerary above: we have given lots of notice so you can decide if the Hooley fits in with your holiday/vacation plans.
- Register your interest in attending: Our Hooley Ticket office is now open and we are taking deposits. The full price per person will be 400 US Dollars. In the meantime - Click here to see instructions on how to register for the Hooley.
- Book your transport and accomodation: it is up to each member to arrange their own transportation to/from Bantry AND accommodation. Have questions about transportation and accomodation? Click here to ask your questions about accommodation. OR Click here to ask your questions about transportation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are my accomodation options?
There are numerous hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and Guest Houses - in the centre of Bantry town. You can see more on accommodation options in the forum here.
What are my transportation options?
Once you arrive at your airport/port in Ireland, there are a number of ways of reaching Bantry. You can see a set of recommendations, and discussion, in the forum by clicking here.
My ancestors did not come from County Cork or Kerry - is the Hooley for me?
We chose Bantry because it is a model for so many other market towns across Ireland. The experiences you will have on the Hooley will represent life in many rural areas of Ireland.
What does the Hooley price include?
The ticket price for the Hooley will be 400 US Dollars per person. It will include access to our special events, transportation to and from the events - as well as meals specified in the itinerary - over the 3.5 days.
Why can I book ONLY 3 tickets?
We are keeping the numbers relatively small as we want to run an event that both goes smoothly and is a wonderful experience for all concerned. We want to give Green Room members first choice of access - and so are limiting the tickets to a maximum of 3 for each member. If you wish to travel with a larger group - that is wonderful - but space on our events and busses is limited to 38 persons max.
What happens if I need to cancel?
We understand that people need to make last-minute cancellations for all sorts of reasons. We have a very reasonable cancellation policy for your Hooley Tickets which you can see near the end of this page. However, cancellation of your accommodation and travel to the events is your own concern. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU TAKE OUT ADEQUATE TRAVEL INSURANCE BEFORE YOU BOOK.
Where is Bantry?
Use the + and - at the bottom right of map to make it larger/smaller.
- Any more questions? Remember - be sure to head to our Green Room Hooley area of the forum here to ask questions and make your comments.