In this training we examine the best approach, benefits and pitfalls of using Ancestry.com for Irish ancestry research. We use a branch of Mike’s own Irish family tree to observe and comment as we progress through the training – he then uses different views and tools available inside Ancestry.com to carry out recommendations (note: about 90% of Green Room members are, or have been, members of Ancestry.com).
Throughout this practical, actionable course, you’ll:
- See how you can use both the Green Room Research Road Map and ancestry.com as tools for your Irish ancestry research.
- Learn how to build robust and reliable trees inside Ancestry.com for your Irish ancestors.
- See Mike deal with red herrings and obstructions along the way as he uses ancestry.com to research a line of his Irish ancestry.
- Get hints and tips from our US-based genealogist on gathering “ancestor identifiers” before making the leap back to the Irish records.
- Learn which Irish record sets are available from inside ancestry.com – and when you need to leave ancestry.com to dig deeper into those and other records.
- Receive hints and tips from our Ireland-based genealogist on searching Irish record sets from within ancestry.com
- Learn where you can receive your further help and advice on using ancestry.com inside the Green Room.
As Mike progresses with the case-study in this course, he calls on Pam Holland (our US-based genealogist) and Jayne McGarvey (our Ireland-based genealogist) for feedback and advice. They provide plenty of pointers – and he then applies their advice. Just like a Green Room member would in real-life!
This course illustrates THE fundamental approach and principles for researching your Irish ancestors from within ancestry.com.